前景提要:卷福让华生回来当然不只是发个短信,两人携手破案的华丽篇章即将开启......
W:How did you get this?
S:By looking. 箱子哪儿来的?我找到的
W:Where? 哪里?
S:The killer must have driven her to Lauriston Gardens. He could only keep her case by accident if it was in a car. Nobody could be seen with this case without drawing attention-particularly a man, which is statistically more likely. So obviously he'd feel compelled to get rid of it. Wouldn't have taken him more than five minutes to realise his mistake. 凶手一定是开车把她带到劳瑞斯顿花园,箱子意外留在车里,这箱子太过显眼容易引起注意,尤其是男人带着更显可疑。所以,他不得不处理掉这个箱子。用不了五分钟,他就发现了这个问题。
S:I checked every backstreet wide enough fora carfive minutes from Lauriston Gardens andanywhere you could dispose of a bulky object without being observed. Took meless than an hour to find the right skip. 我找遍了所有距离劳瑞斯顿花园五分钟车程的后巷,以及所有能不引起注意处理掉大件物品的地方。果然不到一小时就找到了。
W:Pink. You got all that because you realised the case would be pink? 粉色,就因为你断定箱是子是粉的吗?
S:It had to be pink, obviously.明显是粉色。
W:Why didn't I think of that.我怎么没想到?
S:Because you're an idiot.因为你愚蠢。
S:No, no, don't looklike that. Practically everyone is. Now, look. Do you see what's missing? 得了,别这副表情,大多数人都是如此。现在看看,这里面少了什么。
W:From the case? How could I?我怎么知道这箱子里少什么?
S:Her phone. Where's her mobile phone. There was no phone on the body, there's no phone in the case. We know she had one. You just texted it.手机。她的手机在哪里?死者身上没手机,箱子里也没有。她肯定有手机,你刚刚也发过短信了
W:Maybe she left it at home.也许落在家里了
S:She has a string oflovers and she's careful about it. She never leaves her phone at home. 她的情人无数,需要谨慎处理,绝不会把手机落在家里。
W:Er... Why did I just send that text? 那我刚才发什么短信?
S:Well, the question is where is her phone now? 问题在于她的手机现在哪里?
W:She could have lost it.可能丢了
S:Yes, or?也许,或者呢?
W:The murderer... You think the murderer has the phone?
凶手,你认为手机在凶手那里。
S:Maybe she...left it when she left her case. Maybe he took it from her for some reason. Either way, the balance of probability is the murderer has her phone.也许是...她连箱子一起把手机落在车里。也许是出于某种原因,凶手拿走了。无论如何,手机肯定还在凶手那里。
W:Sorry...whatare we doing? 等等,我们刚才做了什么?
S:A few hours after his last victim, and nowhe receives a text that can only be from her. If somebody had just found thatphone, they'd ignore a text like that, but the murderer... would panic.
距离案发仅几小时,却突如其来收到该名受害者的短信,若是路人拾获手机的话肯定对此不以为意,但凶手却会大惊失措。
W:Have you talked to the police?你知会警方了吗?
S:Four people are dead, there isn't time.
已有四人遇害我们没时间知会警察。
W:So why are you talking to me?那你又为何知会我呢?
S:Mrs Hudson took my skull. 因为赫德森太太拿走了我的骷髅伙伴
W:So I'm basically filling in for your skull?
所以我代替骷髅成为你的搭档了咯?
S:Relax,you're doing fine. Well? 放心,你配合得不错。既然这样
W: Well,what? 什么这样
S:Well...you could just sit there and...watch telly.你可以继续坐在那儿,看无聊的电视剧
W:You want me to come with you?你希望我伴你随行吗?
S:I like company when I go out and I think better when I talk aloud. The skull just attracts attention, so... Problem?我喜欢结伴随行,高谈阔论帮助我思考。骷髅太过引人注目。所以,有问题吗?
W:Yeah, Sergeant Donovan.对,多诺万警佐。
S:What about her? 她怎么了。
W:She said you get off on this, you enjoy it.
她说你沉迷破案不能自拔自得其乐。
W:Damn it! 给他看穿了!