Your children are not your children.
你们的孩子,都不是你们的孩子 ,乃是“生命”为自己所渴望的儿女。
They come through you but not from you,
他们是借你们而来,却不是从你们而来 。
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
他们虽和你们同在,却不属于你们。
You may give them your love but not your thoughts. For they have their own thoughts.
你们可以给他们爱,却不可以给他们思想,因为他们有自己的思想。
You may house their bodies but not their souls, For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannotvisit, not even in your dreams.
你们可以荫庇他们的身体,却不能荫蔽他们的灵魂, 因为他们的灵魂,是住在“明日”的宅中,那是你们在梦中也不能想见的。
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
你们可以努力去模仿他们,却不能使他们来象你们。
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
因为生命是不倒行的,也不与“昨日”一同停留。
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
你们是弓,你们的孩子是从弦上发出的生命的箭矢。
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
那射者在无穷之间看定了目标,也用神力将你们引满,使他的箭矢迅速而遥远的射了出来。
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
让你们在射者手中的“弯曲”成为喜乐吧。
For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.
因为他爱那飞出的箭,也爱了那静止的弓。
本文作者- 卡里尔•纪伯伦《先知》第四章 (译注:冰心译)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~