I do not choose to be a common person.
我不要选择做一个普通人
It is my right to be uncommon—if I can
如果我可以,我有权成为杰出的人
I seek opportunity—not security
我寻求机会,不寻求安稳
I do not wish to be a kept citizen
我不想成为一位有保障的国民
humbled and dulled by having the state look after me
孱弱而沉闷的安享着国家的照顾
I want to take the calculated risk
我要做有意义的冒险
to dream and to build
我要梦想,我要创造
to fail and to succeed
我要失败,我也要成功
I refuse to barter incentive for a dole
我渴望奖励,拒绝施舍
I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence
我宁要充满挑战的人生,也不要万无一失的活着;
the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of Utopia.
宁要心满意足的颤抖,也不要萎靡虚空的平静
I will not trade my freedom for beneficence
我不会拿我的自由换取恩惠
nor my dignity for a handout
也不会拿我的崇高换取救济
I will never cower before any master
我绝不在任何权威面前发抖
nor bend to any threat
也绝不为任何恐吓所屈服
It is my heritage to stand erect, proud, and unafraid
我的天性是挺胸直立,骄傲,且无所畏惧
to think and act for myself
我要自由的思考和行动
to enjoy the benefit of my creations
我要纵情于我的创造的价值
and to face the world boldly
我要光荣的面对着世界
and say:
我要说
"This, with God's help, I have done."“
在上帝的帮助下,我做到了!