On Children
论孩子
(1)Your children are not your children.
你们的孩子,都不是你们的孩子
They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
乃是生命为自己所渴望的儿女。
They come through you but not from you,
他们是借你们而来,却不是从你们而来
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
他们虽和你们同在,却不属于你们。
(2)You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
你们可以给他们爱,却不可以给他们思想。
For they have their own thoughts.
因为他们有自己的思想。
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
你们可以荫庇他们的身体,却不能荫蔽他们的灵魂。
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
因为他们的灵魂,是住在明日的宅中,
Which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
那是你们在梦中也不能想见的。
You may strive to be like them,
你们可以努力去模仿他们,
But seek not to make them like you,
却不能使他们来象你们。
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
因为生命是不倒行的,也不与昨日一同停留。
(3)You are the bows
你们是弓,
from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
你们的孩子是从弦上发出的生命的箭矢。
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
那射者在无穷之间看定了目标,
And He bends you with His might,
也用神力将你们引满,
That His arrows may go swift and far.
使他的箭矢迅速而遥远的射了出来。
Let your bending in the archer’s hand be for gladness;
让你们在射者手中的弯曲成为喜乐吧。
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
因为他爱那飞出的箭,
So He loves also the bow that is stable.
也爱了那静止的弓。
论孩子 一位怀抱婴儿的妇女说:请给我们谈谈孩子吧。 穆斯塔法说: 你们的孩子并不是你们的, 而是“生命”对自身的渴望所生的儿女。 他们借你们来到世上,却并非来自你们, 他们虽与你们一起生活,却并不属于你们。 你们可把爱给予他们,却不能给予他们思想。 因为他们有他们的思想。 你们能够庇护他们的身体,却不能庇护他们的灵魂。 因为他们的灵魂居于明日的华屋,那是你们无法相见的,即使在梦中。 你们可以努力以求像他们,但不要试图让他们像你们。 因为生命不能退步,它不可能滞留在昨天。 你们是弓,你们的孩子则是从你们的弓弦上射出的实箭。 射手看见竖立在无尽头路上的目标, 他会用自己的神力将你们的弓引满,以便让他的箭快速射至最远。 就让你们的弓在射手的手中甘愿曲弯; 因为他既爱那飞快的箭,也爱那静止的弓。