TED|不要在年轻的时候选择安逸

I did everything I was supposed to do.

所有该做的我都做齐了。


I got good grades in high school, Itook AP classes,

中学成绩优异,上大学先修班,


I went to a good college, I got a greatjob,

去了间不错的大学, 找了份非常好的工作。


I climbed the career ladder.

事业平步青云。


On paper I had it all.

表面看来我什么都有了。


Iwas making $70,000 a year at the age of 28,

我28岁时年薪就有$70,000


Iwas working for the federal government.

我在联邦政府部门工作。


Ihad health care, I had benefits, I had job security.

我有医疗保险、福利、工作稳定。


Youliterally can't get fired from working for the government.

如果是为政府工作的话,你基本是不会被解雇的。


Trustme, there are people that should.

虽然有人该被解雇, 信不信由你。


(Laughter)

(笑声)


Myparents were impressed, my friends were impressed,

我的父母为我骄傲, 我的朋友都羡慕我,


myboss told me I was doing a great job.

我的上级说我出色能干。


Iwould go to Happy Hour and tell everyone I was the Special Assistant

和朋友出去玩时我会告诉大家


tothe Director of Global Operations at the U.S. Peace Corps,

我是美国和平部队 全球运营总监的特别助理


andeveryone thought that was so cool.

谁听了都说我够酷的。


Theyasked for my business card.

都管我要名片。


Igot to sit in on meetings at the White House.

我得去白宫开会。


Everythingwas perfect about my job

这工作怎么看都是一份美差,


exceptfor one tiny, kind of important thing: I was miserable.

就是除了一小点,却非常重要的一点:我很痛苦。


Howdid I know I was miserable?

我如何知道自己痛苦呢?


Everysingle morning when my alarm would go off at 6:30 AM to NPR,

每天早上6点30分 我的闹钟准点打开美国国家公共广播台,


I'dfeel a shooting pain go up and down my back.

背就会剧烈疼痛,由上至下的,


Ifelt this pain when I was getting out of bed,

起床的时候疼,


whenI was brushing my teeth,

刷牙的时候也疼,


whenI was getting dressed and putting on my shirt and tie,

穿衣服的时候疼,打领带的时候疼,


whenI was taking the bus down to work, when I scanned my ID badge at the office,

上班搭巴士的时候, 出入办公室刷卡的时候疼,


whenI rode up the elevator up to my desk, when I sat at my desk typing memos,

搭乘电梯到我的办公室时,坐着打备忘录时也疼,


whenmy boss would invite me to meetings and we'd talk about best practices,

老板叫我去开会 一起讨论最佳方案时疼,


andwhen my boss would email me every night on my Blackberry at 10 PM.

老板每晚10点还发电邮 到我的黑莓手机时也疼。


Thepain was so bad I developed shingles on my side.

这剧痛如此煎熬难耐 我身上都长带状孢疹了。


Shinglesin a nerve disease common in people over the age of 70,

带状孢疹是种神经性疾病,患者多是70多岁的老人


not20-somethings.

不是20多岁的年轻人。


(Laughter)

(笑声)


Thiswas the pain of confusion.

那是一种困惑之痛。


Itwas the pain of climbing this career ladder to success

痛在意识到最终事业有成时


andrealizing that I was nowhere.

却发现不是自己想要的。


Iwas somewhere I didn't want to be.

得来的不是我想要的。


Iwas stuck in a quarter-life crisis.

我陷入四分之一人生危机中。


Iwas spending a lot of time on Facebook overdosing on FOMO, Fear of Missing Out,

我把很多时间耗在Facebook上 生怕错过什么,


comparingmyself to what my friends were doing.

总把自己和朋友比来比去


Sothere was my friend going off to business school

比如有个朋友要报读商学院,


andI was like, "Maybe I should get my MBA."

我就想:“也许我也得读个MBA吧?”


Andthere was my friend going to teach at a charter school,

有个朋友要去一间特许学校教书,


andI was like, "Maybe I should work at a charter school."

我就想:“也许我也 应该去特许学校找份工作。”


Andthere was my friend opening a food truck,

有个朋友搞了个流动餐车的生意,


andI was like, "Maybe I should open a food truck,

我又想:“也许我也该搞辆餐车,


eventhough I'm an awful driver and a really bad cook."

虽然自己的车技不怎么样,厨技更糟糕。”


(Laughter)

(笑声)


Andso there was a buddy of mine, he'd already graduated

然后呢,我有个好朋友,已经毕业,


fromone of the top law schools in the country,

读的是全国首屈一指的法学院,


hegot this amazing job at one of the top corporate firms,

之后在一家数一数二的公司供职,


makingwell over six figures, and he's got it all figured out,

年薪6位数字, 生活都安排的妥妥当当的


andthere he is traveling with his girlfriend in Peru,

还和自己的女朋友去秘鲁旅行,


gettingengaged at sunset in front of Machu Picchu.

打算在马丘比丘欣赏日落时向她求婚。


AndI'm like "Man! This guy has got it all figured out.

我想:“哇,这家伙行啊。什么都尽善尽美啦。


He'sgot this amazing job, he's going to get married,

有份好工作,很快就要娶老婆了,


he'sat Macchu Picchu, I hate my job, I hate my life,

他在马丘比丘乐着, 而我憎恨自己的工作,自己的生活,


Ican't even get a date on OkCupid, my life is ruined!"

我连恋爱网上的女孩都约不到,生活真是苦不堪言。”


(Laughter)

(笑声)


I'ma goner!

我完蛋了!


Itwas only when I met other young people going through the exact same thing

到了后来我终于遇上了 和我处境一样的年轻人


thatI was able to turn my quarter-life crisis into a breakthrough.

我的四分一人生危机 才得以扭转过来。


So this talkis going to teach you a few lessons I learned on my journey

今天这个演讲是为了教大家几个我自己一路学来的教训。


thatcan help anyone that's stuck in a quarter-life crisis

希望能帮助那些也在经历四分一人生危机的人。


orhelp you avoid your quarter-life crisis and find meaningful work.

或者是帮你绕过四分一人生危机

找到有意义的工作。


Sothe first lessonI learned:

我学到的第一个教训:


findbelievers.

结识有信念的人。


Surroundyourself with people that believe in the beauty of their dreams

你的周围要有那些能看到梦想的魅力、相信自己梦想的人。


becauseI used to come home in D.C. every night to my roommate Dan,

以前我在华盛顿的时候 每晚回到家里,就会看见室友Dan,


andI'd be like "Dan, I hate my job, I don't want to do this anymore,

我就会对Dan说: “Dan,我厌恶这份工作, 我真的不想再干下去了,


Iwant to move across the country, I want to live in San Francisco,

我想横跨国土, 搬到旧金山去住,


I'vealways wanted to live there, I want to start writing,

我一直想在那里住的, 我想开始写点东西,


Iwant to start being creative, I want to support social entrepreneurs,

我想开始做点有创意的,我想去支持那些社会创业人士,


Iwant to support young people that are going after their dreams."

我想去支持那些 想实现自己梦想的年轻人。”


AndDan would look at me, stare, roll his eyes, take a swig of beer,

而Dan呢,就会面朝我看着,直瞪着, 翻翻白眼,呷口啤酒,


andsay "Smiley, suck it up."

然后就说:“Smiley, 吃屎也得忍着。”


(Laughter)

(笑声)


"Everyonehates their job, it's part of life."

“谁不讨厌自己的工作?生活都这样。”


AndI was like, "Man! You know, that's kind of brutal."

然后我就说,“大佬! 你不觉得这有点残酷吗!”


Iwas 28 at the time which is old, but it's not that old.

我才刚28岁, 不年轻,但也不是很老啊。


Ididn't want to spend the next 40 years of my life depressed.

我不想在未来的40年都这样过了呀。


Butyou know what?

但是有你知道吗?


Themajority of the world thinks like Dan.

世界大多数人都和Dan想的一样。


70%of Americans are disengaged at their jobs.

70%的美国人对自己的工作 毫无心思可言。


70%!

70%!


Onefifth of those people are sodisengaged,

那群人当中的五分之一 是如此因心不在焉,


they'reactively undermining their coworkers' work.

他们甚至专门破坏同事的工作。


They'reliterally getting paid

他们根本就是在拿着薪水


tomess things up for the company that they work for.

搞破坏 破坏自己在供职的公司。


(Laughter)

(笑声)


Andthis is a shame.

简直令人羞愧。


It'sa shame because millions of people wake up every day unfulfilled, depressed,

令人羞愧是因为有数百万人每天起来的感觉就是空虚、郁闷,


notshowing up fully for themselves, their families, their communities,

没有为他们自己、家人,社会尽心尽力


orthe world at large.

没有为世界尽心尽力。


Sothen I met believers.

然后呢,我结识了几位有信念的人。


Iwent to a leadership program

我去参加了一个领袖计划


thatbring together 20-somethings

这计划把20多岁的小年轻组织起来


interestedin creating social change,

一群有志于制造社会变化、社会创业、


socialentrepreneurship, and using business for good.

把商业活动用于有益的事情上面的人。


Theprogram was called StartingBloc and at StartingBloc I met believers.

这计划叫“起跑器”, 在那里我结识了有信念的人。


Imet people like Debbie.

我认识了像Debbie这样的人。


Debbiewas starting GoldieBlox,

Debbie创建了GoldieBlox,


atoy company that teaches young girls engineering skills.

是一间玩具公司, 专教女孩子们工程技术。


Imet people like Ted.

我认识了像Ted这样的人。


Tedstarted MoneyThink, which is a nonprofit

Ted创建了MoneyThink,是个非盈利组织


thatteaches financial literacy and entrepreneurship to urban youth.

专门向城市少年 教授财政和创业方面知识。


Imet people like Tom.

我认识是象Tom这样的人。


Tomstarted Rising Tide Car Wash, a small business in South Florida

Tom在佛州南部创建了 Rising

Tide Car Wash的一个小公司


withhis father, that employs people with autism.

与父亲一起创建的,专雇用有自闭症的患者。


SoI met these believers and they're like, "Wait a second Smiley,

当我认识的他们的时候,他们都说, "先别忙,Smiley,


youwant to leave D.C., move to San Francisco,

你想离开华盛顿, 想搬到旧金山,


startwriting, start supporting social entrepreneurs?

开始写作, 开始做支持社会创业者的工作?


Youhave to do that, the world needs you to do that!"

你得说干就干啊, 这世界很需要你的支持!“


Because a crazy thing happens when you findbelievers:

你知道吗,当你遇到有信念的人的时候 有件预想不到的事情也会发生:


you findaccountability.

你遇上"落实责任".


Normallyin the real world,

一般来说,在现实中,


youtell someone you're going to quit your job and they're like,

假如你对某人说你要辞职,他们会说,


"Yeahdude, you said that six months ago.

”嗨,这事你说了有6个月了吧。


Everyone'sgoing to quit their job. Whatever. You're not going to do it."

人人都会说要辞掉工作。随便,你才不会辞呢。“


Youtell someone you're writing a book:

假如你告诉某人说你想写本书:


"Everyone'swriting a book, I'll believe it when I see it."

”人人都说要写书。你真写出来我就信。“


Notwhen you tell believers,

要是对方是有信念的人,他们就不会这样。


becausewhen you tell believers you have accountability.

因为有信念的人听了之后,责任就落你身上了。


Itold my buddy Evan that I was going to quit my job at StartingBloc.

当我告诉在"起跑器"项目的老友Evan说我要辞工时,


Andyou know what he asked me? One simple question: when?

你猜他问我什么? 就一简单问题:几时?


Whenare you going to have the talk with your boss?

打算什么时候和老板谈这事?


Andhe texted me every single week after the program:

领袖计划之后他每周都给我短信:


Haveyou had the talk with your boss yet? Have you had the talk with your boss yet?

跟你老板谈那件事了吗?跟你老板谈那件事了吗?


I'dbe in meeting with senior officials at the White House

我在白宫和那些高级官员开会的时候


gettingtexts and calls from this guy

也会收到这家伙给我来的短信和电话,


andI was like,

搞到我要说,


"Stopcalling me, you're going to get me arrested!"

“别电我啦,你会搞到我被抓去坐牢的!”


Butyou know what?

可是你知道吗?


Theonly reason I did have that talk with my boss,

最终致使我找了老板谈辞职的事的,


theonly reason I did quit my job,

致使我把工作辞掉的,


Idid move across the country to a city I wanted to live in,

致使我横跨国土搬到我现在住的地方的,


theonly reason I did write a book,

致使我写了一本书的,


theonly reason I started supporting social entrepreneurs,

致使我开始做支持社会创业者的,


andthe only reason I'm standing here right now

致使我站在这里做这个演讲的原因


isbecause people like Evan held me accountable.

是因为象Evan这样 使我落实我对自己的责任的人。


Becausewhen you find believers, you find accountability.

因为当你遇到有信念的人时,你就知道要落实责任。


(Applause)

(掌声)


Thankyou.

谢谢大家。


(Applause)

(掌声)


Peoplelike Debbie and Ted and Tom weren't talking about making lots of money.

像Debbie、 Ted、 Tom这样的人他们谈论的不是赚多少钱。


Theyweren't talking about rising up the corporate ladder,

谈论的不是如何 在职途上平步青云,


gettingfeatured in TechCrunch or Fast Company.

不是在TechCrunch 或Fast Comany做风云人物。


Theywere talking about

他们谈论的是


makingthe world more innovative, compassionate, and sustainable.

让世界更加革新、 更加有同情心、更具持续性。


Theywere talking about using their access, their privilege,

谈论的是如何利用 自己的门路、优势和技能


andtheir skills to empower people less fortunate than them.

去赋力于不如自己幸运的人


Becausethe success symbol for my generation, for our generation,

我这一代人、我们这一代人的成功标志


isn'tclimbing the career ladder, it's doing work that matters.

不是职途进阶,而是做有意义的工作。


Sowe're not the "me me me" generation.

我们不是 “我、我、我”一代。


50%of millennials, that's most of you in this room,

50%的千禧一代,即在座的大部分人


wouldtake a pay cut to find work that matches their values.

都会宁愿减薪水去做一份符合自己价值观的工作。


90%of millennials want to use their skills for good.

90%的千禧一代 都想把自己的技能用到有益之事上。


Despiteunprecedented levels of unemployment and student debt,

虽然目前的失业率 和学生债务之高前所未有,


ourgeneration wants to work with purpose.

我们这代人还是想做有意义的工作。


Sohow do you actually find meaningful work?

那么,如何能找到有意义的工作呢?


Well,the second lesson I learned

这就是我学到的第二个教训了。


is that you have to stop comparingyourself to others

就是,你一定得停止拿自己和别人比,


and start pursuing what ismeaningful to you.

着手追求你认为有意义的事情。


Iwent back and interviewed my friend,

我后来去访问了我的老友,


thecorporate lawyer that had it all figured out,

就是那个生活事业样样顺利的商界律师,


wasmarried, got engaged at Machu Picchu.

那位结了婚,在马丘比丘订婚的仁兄,


Iwas like "Man, you got a great job, you're making all this money,

我问他:“老兄, 你事业奇棒赚着这么多钱,


What'sthe secret?"

有什么秘籍吗?”


Andyou know what he told me?

你猜他怎么说?


Hetold me that after three years of law school,

他对我说读法律学院三年,


hundredsof thousands of dollars in student debt,

欠了几十万学费债务,


andnow making all this money at the corporate firm,

现在在商务法律行工作的确赚的钱不少,


thathe was miserable as a corporate lawyer,

但就是非常厌恶商务律师这份工作,


andthat he was going back to grad school at the age of 30

目前以30岁之龄打算重读研究生


tobecome a high school social studies teacher.

转行去中学教社会学。


Right?

看到了吧?


(Applause)

(掌声)


Whichis great for him, but what's the lesson?

得恭喜他,同时各位 看到这里有个什么教训吗?


What's the lesson?

什么教训?


Nobody knows what they're doing. Nobodyhas it figured out.

就是没人知道自己在干什么。 没人想得出来。


The grass is always greener.

看到的总是别人都比自己过得爽。


Instead of comparing yourself to others,

与其老是和别人比,


instead of comparing yourself toeveryone on Facebook,

与其把自己和Facebook上 的张三李四比,


start figuring out what it is that youwant.

不如好好想想你自己想干什么。


Don't climb the career ladder tonowhere; build a career that matters to you.

不要只忙于毫无意义的升职加薪; 把精力放在你在乎的事业上面。


So why are you here?

因此,想想你今天来这的目的是什么?


What do you want to do for others?

你想为别人做些什么?


Howcan you align your own gifts, your unique gifts,

你如何把自己的天赋 自己独一无二的天赋结合到


withthe impact you want to have on the world

你想为世界作出影响的行动上


in a way that supports your desiredquality of life?

同时又符合你想拥有的有质量的生活?


You know what the beautiful thing about meaning is?

大家知道‘意义’ 的美妙之处在哪里吗?


The beautiful thing aboutalignment?

多方结合的美妙之处是 在哪里吗?


There is no one answer.

美在可以有很多答案。


Notwo peoples' definitions are the same.

没有两个人的定义是相同的。


Idon't know what's right for you.

我不知道你该做什么。


I'mstill trying to figure out what's right for myself.

我连自己该做什么都还没想好呢。


Now,Debbie, she started GoldieBlox because of the discrimination she faced

Debbie创建了GoldieBlox是因为


asone of the only female engineering students at Stanford University.

她在史丹福大学作为极少数读工程系女生的时候被歧视。


Tedstarted MoneyThink because when he was growing up in Chicago,

Ted创建了MoneyThink 是因为他在芝加哥长大时,


herealized he had a lot of opportunities due to his privilege

意识自己能有很多机会都是因为家庭条件的优越


thathis peers simply didn't have.

而很多同龄人却没有。


AndTom started Rising Tide Car Wash

而Tom创建Rising Tide Car Wash


becausehe saw how hard it was for his own brother to find a job

是因为体会过自己的亲兄弟之所以找不到工作


becausehis own brother has autism.

是因为有自闭症。


Sothey had a personal connection to their work.

他们的本人和自己的工作都息息相关的。


Meaning is personal, so what makes youtick?

‘意义’和人本身一定是息息相关的。所以,你最关心什么呢?


Not your parents, not your boss, notyour friends on Facebook.

不是父母、不是老板、 不是Facebook上的那些朋友


What makes you tick? Why are you here?

你最关心什么?是什么原因把你引到这里来了?


How will you create your own path?

你想如何建立自己的道路?

Thethird lesson I learned is that you have to start hustling.

我学到的第三个教训就是

你得有所行动。


You have to start hustling withintention, you have to start hustling with purpose.

你的行动得有心, 你的行动得有目标。


Alot of people like to call our generation lazy,

很多人都喜欢说 我们这一代懒惰,


'thelazy generation.'

‘懒惰的一代’。


It'slike, are you kidding me? Lazy?

开玩笑!懒惰?


I'vebeen working for 10 years since college

我从大学毕业后 工作了10年了。


andI still owe Sally Mae $10,000 in student loans.

在Sallie Mae(美最大学生贷款公司)那我还欠着$10,000学生债务。


SoSally Mae if I ever see you on Tinder, I'm swiping left.

Sallie

Mae听着, 如果我在Tinder上看见你即刻删除。


(Laughter)

(笑声)


Debbie,and Ted and Tom weren't working four hours a week,

Debbie、 Ted 和 Tom 可不是每周工作4小时。


theywere working 40, 50, 60 hours a week on something they cared about.

他们每周工作40、50、60个小时 全为了和自己息息相关的事情。


Why would you want to automatesomething that impacts the world, impacts others?

对社会、别人有重大影响的东西 你怎可以不亲手创建呢?


These people weren't automating, theywere hustling.

这几位朋友都没有置之不理, 他们都主动地亲历亲为的。


They were working hard on somethingthat matters.

对于自己关心的事情 他们埋头苦干。


I was working four different jobs whenI was writing a book

我在写书的那段时间 得干四份工作。


because I had to pay rent and pay myloans.

我得交房租、还贷款。


Alot of people hear my story and they're like,

很多人听我的事迹的时候的反应都是:


"Igot to quit my job tomorrow, I'm out! Peace!"

“我明天得辞工了。不干了。不再苦恼!”


That'snot my message, that's not what I'm saying.

那可不是我想说的, 我根本不是那个意思。


Alot of you may have heard of Debbie and GoldieBlox,

在座很多可能都 知道Debbie 和 GoldieBlox,


butwhat you might not know is

但也许不知道


shehad a full time job while she was starting that company.

Debbie在筹建那间公司的时候 自己是做着一份全职的。


Shewas working as the marketing director for a jewelry company in San Francisco.

当时她在旧金山 一间珠宝公司当市场总监。


Shestayed on at that job for nine months after she had the idea for GoldieBlox.

她有了创建GoldieBlox的想法之后 还在那公司做了9个月。


Why?

什么原因呢?


Firstof all, she knew she was going to start her own business

首先,她知道将来要开创自己的事业。


soshe needed to save money, a very practical reason,

这得积蓄点钱。很实际的原因。


butsecond of all, she felt like she was getting paid to go to business school.

其次,她感到好比是拿着薪水读商学院,


Ratherthan pay a lot of money to go get an MBA, she was earning a paycheck

不用交一大笔学费去读MBA, 在有收入的同时


andlearning invaluable skills in marketing, retail, distributions, sales

能学到很多宝贵的市场、零售、渠道和销售技能。


sheknew she would be able to apply to her own business

她明白这些都能用在将来自己的事业上,


whenshe left and started her own company.

当她离开去自己创业的时候。


Soyou don't have to quit your job tomorrow.

所以你不需明天就辞工的。


Asa matter of fact, you don't even need to have a job.

事实是,你可能也不需先有份工作。


I'lltell the story of my friend Bernat.

说一个我朋友Bernat的故事给大家听。


SoI met this crazy guy once in San Francisco.

有一次在旧金山我碰到个奇人。


I'mbiking home and suddenly this stranger starts talking to me.

当时我在骑着单车回家,有个陌生人就前来搭讪。


He'slike, "Hey man, how's your day going?"

说:“嗨老友,今天 过得怎样啊?”


I'mlike, "I don't know, leave me alone, I don't know you."

我就说,“不知道, 别烦我。我不认识你。”


Hekeeps biking alongside and is like,

他骑着车子,还是一直 跟着我旁边。


"Hey,I just got here from Spain, I'm looking for a job.

“嗨。我刚从西班牙来,在找工作呢。


I'mlike, "I don't know you, leave me alone."

我就是说,“我也不认识你啊,别烦我啦。”


He'slike, "I just moved from Barcelona, I'm a really good UX/UI designer,

他说,“我从巴塞罗那来,我对用户体验设计很在行,


I'vehad six interviews this week.

这星期里去了6个面试,


IfI don't get a job I have to go back to Spain,

如果找不到工作的话, 我就得回西班牙了。


Ineed a work visa to stay here in the U.S.

我得有个工作签证才能待在美国。


There'snot many jobs in Spain, I really want to stay."

西班牙没多少工作做, 我很想在这待下去。”


AndI was like, "Actually, my best friend was living in Barcelona,

然后我说,“其实,我有个老友就住在巴塞罗那,


it'sa beautiful city, let me check out your website,"

是个蛮漂亮的城市, 我去瞧瞧你的网站吧。”


Hesaid, "What are you working on?" I said, "Well, I'm writing thisbook."

他又问,“你在搞什么?”我说,“在写本书呢。”


Hegoes, "Do you have a cover designer?" and I said, "No, notyet."

他问,“找了人设计封面了吗?”我说,“还没呢。”


SoI go home, I check out his website

然后我回到家,就去看他的网站。


andI was like, "Wow, this guy is a pretty good designer.

看后顿时, “哇,这家伙设计有点水平呢。


He'spretty kick-ass, he's awesome."

很厉害呢。”


SoI was like, "Hey Bernat, maybe you could design my book cover."

然后我就说,“嗨,Bernat, 也许你可以帮我设计封面。”


Andthen I posted on Facebook, "Hey, just met this crazy guy,

然后我就在Facebook上出了个帖, “嗨,刚认识了位奇人,


Bernatfrom Barcelona, does anyone need a designer?

巴塞罗那来的Bernat,谁要找设计师吗?


Iknow a lot of people in startups, maybe Bernat can help you."

我知道很多人在创业, Bernat可能可以帮到你呢。”


Fiveminutes later my friend Yi comments.

5分钟之后我的朋友Yi就响应了。


He'slike, "My friends are starting a startup in Palo Alto,

说,“我有朋友在帕罗 奥图(美国加州城市)刚创业,


there'sthree of them, they don't really know what they're doing,

就3个人,现在什么头绪都没有,


theycould use a designer."

倒真能借用他的设计的。”


SoBernat meets with this team, they hit it off,

然后Bernet就去见了这个团队, 一见如故,


hegets hired as their lead designer, it's a four person team.

他们请了他做主设计, 这就变成一个4人团队了。


He'ssuper excited, he texts me, "Smiley, thank you, I got this job!"

Bernet兴奋冲天,发短信给我, “Smiley,蒙贵助,我找到工作啦!”


AndI'm like "Thank you, man, you made the ask."

我就说“谢你才对啊, 是你自己要问的啊。”


Soit goes by, he helps me design this book cover,

之后他就帮我设计了书的封面,


andthen about six or seven months later I got a text from Bernat:

六七个月之后我收到Bernat短信:


He'slike, "Smiley, I'm taking you out to dinner, anywhere you want togo."

他说,“Smiley, 我想请你吃饭, 你说去哪我们就去哪。”


Iwas like, awesome, I want to get taken out to dinner, great.

我想,好啊,我也想 有人请我吃饭啊。太棒了。


Wewent out to dinner and I said, "What's going on man? What's up?

我们就出去吃饭了,然后我问,“怎样,都好吗?最近怎样?


Whyare you taking me out?

什么事要请我吃饭?


Ihave some money, I'm a writer, I'm mostly broke,

我钱是有一点, 穷写书的,剩下的也不多了,


butwe can split the check or something."

不过我们可各自付账什么的。”


Andhe goes, "You know the company I started working for after I metyou?"

他说,“你还记得我认识你之后我去的那家公司吧?”


Iwas like, "Yeah."

我说,“记得啊”


Theyhad just been acquired by Yahoo for 80 million dollars.

“他们刚刚被Yahoo收购了, 卖了8千万美元大洋。”


(Gasps).

(惊)


Right?

看到了吧?


It'sa small team, like four or five people, so Bernat had equity,

他们的团队挺小的,就四五个人,所以Bernat有份额的。


hewas one of the first people on the team.

他是团队的元老队员。


Hewas thanking me and I'm like, "You should thank yourself."

他谢我,我就对他说, “你得谢谢你自己。”


Youknow why?

知道为什么吗?


BecauseBernat made the ask.

因为是Bernat自己主动到处问的。


Hetalked to a random stranger on a bike in a city that he didn't live in,

他骑在单车上,在不是自己住的城市里,随机问了一个陌生人,


ina country that he's not even from.

这里甚至都不是他自己的国家。


Hemade the ask.

但他主动开口问了。


Sodo not let being a beginner limit your hustle.

所以千万不要因为你是新手上路就不主动出击。


Takea risk, sign up for the class, volunteer, go abroad, work abroad,

冒一点点险,参加个进修班、做义工、去旅行、到海外工作去、


launcha crowdfunding campaign.

开展一个向群众募资的运动。


(Cheers)(Applause)

(呼声)(掌声)


Thankyou.

谢谢。


(Applause)

(掌声)


Startthe blog, build that website, make the ask.

开个部落格、建个网站、迈开步伐。


Peoplewill support you when you start working with purpose.

当你开始有心有谋地做一件事时周围的人会支持你的。


Nowthis isn't about finding your one calling or your one purpose,

我说的不是怎样找到神召或找到你最终目标,


becauseI don't think that that's possible.

那是不可能的事。


Ithink I've already had eight callings, and I'm only 31,

我想我似乎已经有过 8个神召了,还只是31岁而已。


whichis not that old, I swear.

我保证这年纪一点不老。


But I amsaying that if you find believers now,

我只想说,假如你现在能遇上有信念的人的话,


ifyou stop comparing yourself to others now,

假如现在就不再把自己和周围的人比的话,


andif you hustle to pursue what is meaningful to you now,

假如你马上行动去追求对你来说是有意义的事情的话,


youwill change your life, you will change the lives of others,

你就能改变你的生活,你就能改变别人的生活,


andyou will change the world.

你就能改这世界。


(Applause)

(掌声)


Peoplelike Debbie and Ted and Tom changed my life.

像Debbie、 Ted、 Tom 这些人改变了我的生活。


They'rethe only reason I'm standing here right now

是他们令我今天能站在这里,


andnot sitting at home on Facebook depressed,

而不是宅在家里对着Facebook 抑郁难熬,


worryingabout what all my friends are doing, worrying about my friend,

老想着所有的朋友都干什么呢,想着那位我说的


thecorporate lawyer that doesn't even want to be a corporate lawyer.

那位讨厌自己工作的律师朋友。


Becausewhen you pursue meaningful work, you inspire others to as well.

当你追求有意义的工作时,你也在激发其他人。


Youinsure that the workforce of the future will be spending its days

你力保了未来的劳动力把时间及资源


empoweringgirls to become engineers,

用于培养女孩们成为工程师,


teachingfinancial literacy and entrepreneurship to urban youth,

教育青年学会金融基本和创业知识


employingpeople with disabilities,

雇用残障人士,


andensuring that every single person in this room and those not in this room

力保在座的每一个人 和不这里的每一个人


reachestheir full potential.

都能把自己天赋发挥到极致。


(Applause)

(掌声)


Soyou can call us idealistic,

你可以把我们称为理想主义者,


youcan certainly call me idealistic, I mean my name is Smiley

你尽管说我是理想主义者,我的名字都叫Smiley


(Laughter)

(掌声)


butwe are not the "me me me" generation.

但我们不是“我、我、我”的一代。


Weare the purpose generation,

我们是有目标的一代,


andwe will be engaged with our work because we have to.

我们投入工作是因为 我们一定要这样做。


(Applause)

(掌声)


Thechallenges facing our generation are simply too serious to ignore.

我们这一代面对的挑战太大了,不能轻率待之。


They'retoo serious to only worry about on the weekend,

挑战太大了, 不能只在周末才关心它,


ortoo serious to only worry about after 5 PM.

或只在每天 下午5点后才关心它。


Wecan't be stuck in a high school crisis,

我们不能总停留在高中生危机,


a quarter-life crisis, a third-life crisis, or amid-life crisis.

四分一人生危机, 三分一人生危机,或中年危机。


We can't climb the career ladder tonowhere.

我们不能毫无目标地只为升职加薪而活。


The stakes are too damn high.

赌注太大了。


Thankyou.

谢谢大家。


(Applause).

(掌声)

©著作权归作者所有,转载或内容合作请联系作者
  • 序言:七十年代末,一起剥皮案震惊了整个滨河市,随后出现的几起案子,更是在滨河造成了极大的恐慌,老刑警刘岩,带你破解...
    沈念sama阅读 204,793评论 6 478
  • 序言:滨河连续发生了三起死亡事件,死亡现场离奇诡异,居然都是意外死亡,警方通过查阅死者的电脑和手机,发现死者居然都...
    沈念sama阅读 87,567评论 2 381
  • 文/潘晓璐 我一进店门,熙熙楼的掌柜王于贵愁眉苦脸地迎上来,“玉大人,你说我怎么就摊上这事。” “怎么了?”我有些...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 151,342评论 0 338
  • 文/不坏的土叔 我叫张陵,是天一观的道长。 经常有香客问我,道长,这世上最难降的妖魔是什么? 我笑而不...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 54,825评论 1 277
  • 正文 为了忘掉前任,我火速办了婚礼,结果婚礼上,老公的妹妹穿的比我还像新娘。我一直安慰自己,他们只是感情好,可当我...
    茶点故事阅读 63,814评论 5 368
  • 文/花漫 我一把揭开白布。 她就那样静静地躺着,像睡着了一般。 火红的嫁衣衬着肌肤如雪。 梳的纹丝不乱的头发上,一...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 48,680评论 1 281
  • 那天,我揣着相机与录音,去河边找鬼。 笑死,一个胖子当着我的面吹牛,可吹牛的内容都是我干的。 我是一名探鬼主播,决...
    沈念sama阅读 38,033评论 3 399
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我猛地睁开眼,长吁一口气:“原来是场噩梦啊……” “哼!你这毒妇竟也来了?” 一声冷哼从身侧响起,我...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 36,687评论 0 258
  • 序言:老挝万荣一对情侣失踪,失踪者是张志新(化名)和其女友刘颖,没想到半个月后,有当地人在树林里发现了一具尸体,经...
    沈念sama阅读 42,175评论 1 300
  • 正文 独居荒郊野岭守林人离奇死亡,尸身上长有42处带血的脓包…… 初始之章·张勋 以下内容为张勋视角 年9月15日...
    茶点故事阅读 35,668评论 2 321
  • 正文 我和宋清朗相恋三年,在试婚纱的时候发现自己被绿了。 大学时的朋友给我发了我未婚夫和他白月光在一起吃饭的照片。...
    茶点故事阅读 37,775评论 1 332
  • 序言:一个原本活蹦乱跳的男人离奇死亡,死状恐怖,灵堂内的尸体忽然破棺而出,到底是诈尸还是另有隐情,我是刑警宁泽,带...
    沈念sama阅读 33,419评论 4 321
  • 正文 年R本政府宣布,位于F岛的核电站,受9级特大地震影响,放射性物质发生泄漏。R本人自食恶果不足惜,却给世界环境...
    茶点故事阅读 39,020评论 3 307
  • 文/蒙蒙 一、第九天 我趴在偏房一处隐蔽的房顶上张望。 院中可真热闹,春花似锦、人声如沸。这庄子的主人今日做“春日...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 29,978评论 0 19
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我抬头看了看天上的太阳。三九已至,却和暖如春,着一层夹袄步出监牢的瞬间,已是汗流浃背。 一阵脚步声响...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 31,206评论 1 260
  • 我被黑心中介骗来泰国打工, 没想到刚下飞机就差点儿被人妖公主榨干…… 1. 我叫王不留,地道东北人。 一个月前我还...
    沈念sama阅读 45,092评论 2 351
  • 正文 我出身青楼,却偏偏与公主长得像,于是被迫代替她去往敌国和亲。 传闻我的和亲对象是个残疾皇子,可洞房花烛夜当晚...
    茶点故事阅读 42,510评论 2 343

推荐阅读更多精彩内容