前景提要:在卷福无聊至极时,致命的游戏开始了。一张照片,一个陌生女人的来电,一个真正的谜题......
W:You like the funny cases, don't you? The surprising ones.你喜欢好玩的案子,对吧?有惊喜的案子
S:Obviously.显然
L:You'll love this. That explosion.这件你肯定喜欢,是起爆炸案。
S:Gas leak, yes?煤气泄漏吧?
L:No.不
S:No?
L:No. Made to look like one. 只是凶手故意制造的假象。
W:What? 什么?
L:Hardly anything left of the place, except a strongbox. A very strong box, and inside it was this.那地方几乎全被炸惠勒,除了这保险箱。非常保险的保险箱,里面是这个。
S:You haven't opened it?你没拆开?
L:It's addressed to you, isn't it? We've X-rayed it. It's not booby-trapped.写明给你的,不是吗?照过X光了,没有机关。
S:How reassuring.真让人安心啊。
S:From the Czech Republic. No fingerprints?捷克出产的,没有指纹?
L:No.没有
S:She used a fountain pen. Parker Duofold, iridium nib.这位女士用了钢笔,派克平顶多福系列。
W:She?女士?
S:Obviously.显然嘛。
W:Obviously.显然。
W:But that... That's the phone. The pink phone.但是..是那个手机,粉红手机。
L:What, from The Study In Pink? "粉色的研究"里的?
S:Obviously, it's notthe same phone, but it's supposed to look like... "Study In Pink"?You read his blog?显然不是同一个,但故意用同款...“粉色的研究”?你也看他的博客?
W:Of course. We all do. Do you really not know that the Earth goes round the sun?当然,我们都看。你真的不知道地球绕太阳转?
S:It isn't the same phone. This one's brand-new. Someone's taken trouble to make it look the same, which means your blog has a far wider readership.不是同一只手机,这个是全新的,有人故意选了同样的手机,说明你的博客读者群还挺广。
W:Was that it?就这些?
S:No, that's not it.不,不止这些。
W:What the hell are we supposed to make of that?这到底是跟我们搞什么鬼?
L:An estate agent's photo and the bloody Greenwich pips.一张房产广告照加上格林威治报时信号。
S:It's a warning.是个警告
W:A warning?警告?
S:Some secret societies used to send dried melon seeds, orange pips, things like that - five pips. They're warning us it's going to happen again. I've seen this place before.有些秘密社团寄送晒干的西瓜籽,如五个桔核,五下计时也一样。他们警告我们这还会再发生。我见过这个地方
W:Hang on. What's going to happen again?等等,什么会再发生?
S:Boom!爆炸。
Mrs Hudson:You did a look, didn't you, when you first came to see about your flat?你看过一眼对吧,第一次来看房的时候。
S:The door's been opened, recently.门最近开过
Mrs Hudson:No, can't be. That's the only key. I can't get anyone interested in this flat. It's the damp, I expect - that's the curse of basements. I'd a place once when I was first married. Mould all up the wall...不可能,只有这一把钥匙。找不到人想租这间房。太潮湿了吧,地下室就这毛病。我刚结婚的时候住过,满墙的青苔。
Mrs Hudson:Oh. Dear me.哦。我的天。
W:Shoes. He's a bomber, remember.鞋子,记得他是投弹手。
S:Hello.你好
Woman A:'H-Hello...sexy.'你好,帅哥
S:Who's this?哪位?
Woman A:I've...sent you...a little puzzle, just to say hi.我给你准备了个小谜语,算是跟你打声招呼吧。
S:Who's talking? Why are you crying?你是谁,你哭什么?
Woman A:I...I'm not crying. I'm typing. And this...stupid bitch is reading it out.我没有哭,我在打字。而这个蠢婊子在替我读。
S:The curtain rises.游戏开场了。
W:What?什么?
S:Nothing.没什么
W:No, what did you mean?你说什么?
S:I've been expectingthis for some time.这一直就在等待这一天。
Woman A:12 hours to solve...mypuzzle, Sherlock... or I'm going to be...so...naughty.12小时解开我的谜语夏洛克不然我就会.捣蛋的哟。
W:So, who do you suppose it was?好吧,你觉得是谁?
S:Hmm?嗯?
W:Woman on the phone -the crying woman.电话里在哭的女人。
S:Oh, she doesn't matter, she's just a hostage. No lead there.她无所谓,就一人质而已,查她没用。
W:For God sake, I wasn't thinking about leads.我不是在想线索的事。
S:You're not going to be much use to her.再想你也帮不了她。
W:Are they trying to trace it - trace the call?他们在追踪吗?追踪手机信号?
S:Bomber's too smart for that.炸弹客狡猾得很,没用的。
S:Pass my phone. 帮我拿下手机。
W:Where is it?在哪?
S:Jacket.上衣兜。
S:Careful!轻点!
W:Text from your brother.你哥哥的短信
S:Delete it.删掉。
W:Delete it?删掉?
S:Plans are out of the country. Nothing we can do.计划已经流出国外了,我们没办法。
W:Well, Mycroft thinksthere is. He's texted you eight times. Must be important. 麦考夫认为有意义,他都短你八回了。肯定很重要。
S:Then why didn't he cancel his dental appointment?那他怎么还有空看牙医?
W:His what?看什么?
S:Mycroft never texts if he can talk.他只要能说话,绝不发短信。
S:Look, Andrew West stole the missile plans, tried to sell them, got his head smashed in, end of story. The only mystery is why my brother is so determined to bore me when somebody is being so interesting.安德鲁·韦斯特偷了计划去卖,结果送掉了脑袋,就这么回事,唯一疑点是我哥干嘛缠着我,打扰我和这么有趣的人交锋。
W:Try and remember there's a woman who might die.你要知道还有个女人命悬一线。
S:What for? There's hospitals full of people dying, Doctor. Why don't you go and cry by their bedside and see what good it does them?干嘛,医院里到处都是濒死的人,医生。你何不去他们床边哭去,看能不能挽救他们?
Molly:Any luck?有发现吗?
S:Oh, yes!当然
Jim:Oh, sorry. I didn't...抱歉,我不知道...
Molly:Jim, hi! Come in! Come in!金,嗨!快进来!
Molly:Jim, this is Sherlock Holmes.金,这就是夏洛克·福尔摩斯
Jim:Ah.啊
Molly:And, er... Sorry.还有...抱歉你是...
W:John Watson. Hi.约翰·华生。嗨
Jim:Hi. So you'reSherlock Holmes. Molly's told me all about you. You on one of your cases? 嗨,你就是夏洛克·福尔摩斯啊。茉莉给我讲了好多你的事,你在办案吗?
Molly:Jim works in IT, upstairs. That's how we met. Office romance.金在楼上信息部门工作。我们就这么认识的,办公室恋情。
S:Gay.基佬。
Molly:Sorry, what?你说什么?
S:Nothing. Um, hey.没什么呃...嗨
Jim:Sorry. Sorry! Well, I'd better be off. I'll see you at the Fox. About sixish?抱歉,抱歉。呃,我还是走吧。福克斯剧院见。六点钟?
Molly:Yeah.好
Jim:Bye.再见
Molly:Bye.再见
S:It was nice to meet you.很高兴见到你
W:You too.我们也是。
Molly:What do you mean, gay? We're together.你说谁基佬?我们在交往耶。
S:Domestic bliss must suit you, Molly. You've put on 3lb since I last saw you.恋爱幸福很滋润啊,茉莉。几天没见你胖了三磅。
Molly:Two-and-a-half.两磅半。
S:No, three.不,三磅。
W:Sherlock.夏洛克。
Molly:He's not gay! Why do you have to spoil...? He's not!他才不是基佬。你何苦非要毁掉...他不是。
S:With that level of grooming?那么爱打扮?
W:Because he puts product in his hair? I put product in my hair.因为他头发上抹东西吗?我也抹的呀。
S:You wash your hair, there's a difference. Tinted eyelashes, signs of taurine creamaround the frown lines, those tired, clubber's eyes. Then there's hisunderwear.你洗头发时抹,不一样。染睫毛,额头上有牛磺酸精华霜,泡夜店泡到满眼血丝。还有他的内裤
Molly:His underwear?他的内裤?
S:Visible above the waistline. Very particular brand. Plus the suggestive fact that he left his number under this dish. I'd say you'd better break it off now and save yourself the pain.腰上露出一截,非常特别的品牌。最明显的是,他在碟子底下留了个电话。你最好现在就去跟他分手,长痛不如短痛。
W:Charming, well done!真棒,干的漂亮
S:Just saving her time. Isn't that kinder?为她节省时间,不是很好心吗?
W:Kinder? No, no, Sherlock, that wasn't kind.好心?不不,夏洛克,这不是好心。
S:Go on, then. You know what I do. Off you go.你来说说。你知道我怎么做,试试吧。
W:Oh... No.还是算了
S:Go on.说吧
W:I'm not going to let you humiliate me while I...我可不想站这分析这鞋,任你羞辱。
S:An outside eye, a second opinion - it's very useful to me.旁观者的视角,不同的观点,对我非常有用。
W:Yeah, right!好吧。
S:Really!真的。
W:Fine.好吧。
W:Oh, they're just a pair of sh...trainers.这只是双运动鞋。
S:Good.很好
W:They're in good nick. I'd say they were pretty new, except the sole has been well worn, so the owner must have had them for a while. Er, very '80s. Probably one of those retro designs.保养的很好,这鞋子看着还很新,只是鞋底磨损得厉害,所以应该穿了有些日子了。80年代风格,可能是复古款。
S:You're on sparkling form. What else?你成就惊人啊,还有呢?
W:They're quite big. A man's.码子很大,是男人的。
S:But...可是...
W:But there's traces of a name inside in felt-tip. Adults don't write their names inside their shoes, so these belong to a kid.可是内侧有写名字的痕迹,成人不会在鞋上签名,所以是小孩的。
S:Excellent. What else?太棒了还有呢?
W:That's it.就这些
S:That's it.就这些
W:How did I do?我做的怎样?
S:Well, John. Reallywell. I mean, you missed almost everything of importance, but, you know...
很好,约翰。真的很好,虽然你几乎漏掉了所有重要信息,但你知道...…
S:The owner loved these. Scrubbed them clean. Whitened them. Changed the laces three...no, four times. There are traces of flaky skin where his fingers have come into contact with them, so he had eczema. The shoes are more worn on the inner side, so he had weak arches. British-made, 20 years old.主人爱惜它,擦得很干净,还漂白过,鞋带换了三...不,四次,手指触摸的地方有皮屑,所以他患了湿疹,鞋底内侧比外侧磨损严重,说明他足弓无力。英国制造的20年了。
W:20 years? 20年?
S:They're not retro, they're original. Limited edition - two blue stripes, 1989.不是复古款,是原装的。限量版,两条蓝道,产自1989年的。
W:There's still mud on them. They look new.上面还沾着泥,看起来很新。
S:Someone's kept them that way. Quite a bit of mud caked on the soles. Analysis shows it's from Sussex with London mud overlaying it.被人保存的很好。鞋掌沾了好几层泥,化验出内层是苏塞克斯郡的外层是伦敦的
W:How do you know? 你怎么知道?
S:Pollen. Clear as a map reference. South of the river. This kid came to London from Sussex 20 years ago and left the trainers behind.花粉,清晰得像地图。泰晤士南岸。这孩子20年前从苏塞克斯来伦敦,留下了这双运动鞋。
W:What happened to him?他出什么事了?
S:Something bad. He loved those shoes, remember. He'd never leave them filthy. Wouldn't let them go unless he had to. So, a child with big feet gets...祸事降临。他爱这双鞋,记得吗?绝不容许它弄脏,不到万不得已,不会抛弃它。所以一个大脚小孩来到...
W:什么? What?
S:Carl Powers.卡尔·鲍尔斯
W:Sorry, who?抱歉谁?
S:Carl Powers, John.卡尔·鲍华约翰
W:What is it?那是什么?
S:It's where I began.是我的起点。